Vanguard College & Taylor Seminary are pleased to offer their TESOL program. TESOL opens doors both overseas and also in Canada for ministry. There is a great demand from mission agencies, schools, and international corporations for English teachers worldwide.
Our program teaches linguistics, methods and materials in teaching, the theory of second language acquisition and 6 credits of linguistics. Phonology, morphology, syntax, second language acquisition, materials and methods are some of the topics that will be covered, followed by independent practicum experiences in both observation and teaching.
HOW DO I STUDY?
This program is presented in three steps:
- Step One is a four-week course in which the foundation subjects for Teaching English are presented in an integrated format (12 Credits).
- Step Two is a practicum where students complete 20 hours of observation in an ESL classroom, followed by 10 hours in class of teaching in an ESL classroom (3 Credits).
- Step Three of this program includes a number of courses that will be of tremendous value to the individual, especially in a missions setting. The courses that round out this program will give the student a general understanding of scripture, an introduction to cross cultural principles and help them to develop a better relationship with their local church and sending agency.
- Biblical Theological Studies (12 Credits)
- Intercultural Studies (3 Credits)
- These courses can be completed in class, by directed study, or online through IBOLT Online Education. Transfer credit from recognized institutions will be considered with an official transcript.
WHAT YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH…
Our goal is to train graduates who can work with confidence as they prepare lessons, work in a classroom and understand the challenges that various people groups may have with learning English. In turn, this will prepare individuals to provide excellent instruction in a variety of settings. You have (4) options to choose from:
- TESOL Certification Level I (15 Credits): A basic stand-alone TESOL program consisting of only the core courses for teaching English. This program is TESL Canada accredited. Students receiving this certificate would not be able to pursue TESL Canada professional accreditation without an undergraduate degree. Students in this certificate are required to complete Steps 1 & 2 in “How Do I Study?”
- TESOL certificate (30 Credits): Upon completion, students who hold an undergraduate degree can apply to TESL Canada for certification as TESOL instructors. Information on how to apply for TESL Canada certification will be provided to all students who enroll.
- BAICS-TESOL: Please see Vanguard College’s Bachelor of A Intercultural Studies program.
- MA ICS-TESOL: Please see Taylor Seminary’s MA Intercultural Studies – TESOL program.
VTLI Brochure 2013-2014 - Coming Soon!
VTLI Instructors 2013-2014 - Coming Soon!
To Register and find out more Contact
Program Director - Paul Chugg email@example.com
Vanguard College Associate Recruitment Director - Joy Dodd firstname.lastname@example.org
12140 – 103 Street Edmonton, AB T5G 2J9
(780) 452-0808 or toll free1-866-222-0808
Taylor Seminary Admissions Counselor – Rick Heavenor email@example.com
11525 23 Avenue Edmonton, AB T6J 4T3
(780) 431-5200 or toll free 1-800-567-4988