- Last Updated: 17 July 2014
Master of Arts Intercultural Studies (Two-Year)
A two-year program designed for those anticipating careers in intercultural or multicultural settings. The curriculum offers courses that integrate the study of culture, Bible and theology and the mission of the church with special emphasis on developing skills for intercultural ministry of a non-pastoral nature. This program is for students who possess a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a recognized college or university.
1. Personal and spiritual maturity and a commitment to ongoing growth.
2. A broad knowledge of the Bible and theology and the ability to apply this knowledge incarnationally in a redemptive ministry in the church and the world.
3. The capacity to critically integrate the principles and methodologies of cultural anthropology within a missiological framework.
4. Commitment to the Church’s worldwide mission of gospel proclamation, discipleship, and social change.
5. Competence in the skills needed for sympathetically understanding other cultures and in the exercise of spiritual gifts in another cultural setting.
Bible (9 credits)
BI 412 Biblical Hermeneutics 3
NT 416 New Testament Introduction 3
OT 417 Old Testament Introduction 3
Church History and Theology (12 credits)
CH 420 Church History to 1500 3
CH 422 Church History since 1500 3
TH 531 Systematic Theology I 3
TH 532 Systematic Theology II 3
Church Mission and Ministry (24 credits)
PR 442 ICS Practicum Unit 1 (Field Ed) 1
PR 443 ICS Practicum Unit 2 (Field Ed) 1
PR 444 ICS Practicum Unit 3 (Field Ed) 1
MI 432 Integral Mission 3
plus one of the following two courses: 3
MI 534 Intercultural Communication or
MI 546 Global Mission Study Tour
MI 545 Evangelism and Church Planting 3
MI 637A Applied Cultural Anthropology 3
MI 651 MA Research Paper Proposal 1
MI 652 MA Research Paper 2
PT 540 Spiritual Formation 3
WR 523 Christian Encounter with World Religions 3
Free electives 3
Total Credits 48
If you would like more information about this program, please feel free to submit a Request for Informationor speak to an admissions counsellor at 431-5200 (local) or 1 (800) 567-4988.