Master of Arts Intercultural Studies: TESOL (Two-Year)
A two-year program designed for those anticipating careers in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) both in Canada and overseas. The curriculum offers courses that integrate TESOL, culture, Bible and theology and the mission of the church. This program is for students who possess a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a recognized college or university. TESOL classes are offered jointly with Vanguard College, Edmonton, AB, through the Vanguard Taylor Language Institute.
1. Personal and spiritual maturity and a commitment to ongoing growth.
2. A broad knowledge of the Bible and theology and the ability to apply this knowledge incarnationally in a redemptive ministry in the church and the world.
3. The capacity to critically integrate the principles and methodologies of intercultural communication within a missiological framework.
4. Commitment to the Church's worldwide mission of gospel proclamation, discipleship, and social change.
5. Competence in the skills needed for sympathetically understanding other cultures and in the exercise of spiritual gifts in another cultural setting.
6. An ability to teach English to speakers of other languages to a variety of abilities and contexts.
Bible (9 credits)
BI 412 Biblical Hermeneutics 3
NT 416 New Testament Introduction 3
OT 417 Old Testament Introduction 3
Church History and Theology (6 credits)
TH 531 Systematic Theology I 3
TH 532 Systematic Theology II 3
Church Mission and Ministry (12 credits)
MI 432 Integral Mission 3
MI 545 Evangelism and Church Planting 3
plus one of the following two courses: 3
PC 431 Personal Development in Ministry, or
PT 540 Spiritual Formation
WR 523 Christian Encounter with World Religions 3
TESOL (18 credits)
MI 534 Intercultural Communication 3
TSL 411 Applied Linguistics I 3
TSL 412 Second Language Acquisition 3
TSL 413 Applied Linguistics II 3
TSL 414 Methods and Materials in TESOL 3
TSL 417 TESOL Practicum 3
Free Electives 3
Total Credits 48
If you would like more information about this program, please feel free to submit a Request for Information or speak to an admissions counsellor at 431-5200 (local) or 1 (800) 567-4988.