Frequently Asked Questions

Taylor SeminaryWhat is Taylor Seminary all about?
Taylor Seminary is an evangelical centre of higher education dedicated to training men and women to serve as leaders and disciples of Christ. Our students are often our biggest champions, commenting favorably on the outstanding faculty, the campus atmosphere, our programs and courses, the outstanding value we offer and more. Students also find the emphasis on spiritual formation to be invaluable. Studying at Taylor Seminary is truly a life-changing, faith-building opportunity.

What is the Taylor campus like?
Taylor Seminary is situated on a beautiful 4-acre site in southwest Edmonton. The main administration building houses the General Office, classrooms, Stencel Hall (a lecture theatre) and the Taylor Commons. This building is attached to the Benke office building which houses the faculty offices, a reading room and White Cross Canada. Next door is the student residence, Muller Hall which offers both traditional and non-traditional housing as well as bachelor suites.

Our neighbours on campus include CDI College (private post-secondary) and Imagining Church. The central "Campus Green" connects all of the main buildings, while other landscaped areas provide places for quiet study, prayer, or relaxation. There are several maintained playing fields as well as paths leading to a forested ravine.

Where is Taylor Seminary located?Edmonton's beautiful river valley
Taylor Seminary is located in Edmonton, the capital city of the province of Alberta, in Canada. A city of nearly a million people, Edmonton is a centre of culture and the arts, research, education, and recreation. Edmonton has a number of professional sports teams and is home to West Edmonton Mall, the world's largest shopping centre.

Click here for more information about the City of Edmonton.

What are the entrance requirements at Taylor Seminary?
Please see Application Requirements for details.

Do I have to take the TOEFL exam?
Since the language of instruction at Taylor is English, applicants must be proficient in both verbal and written English. Students who have successfully completed a minimum of 3 years of instruction exclusively in English may have this requirement waived.

Please see Application Requirements for details.

Do I need a student visa? How do I obtain one? How long will this take?
All international students at Taylor Seminary require a study permit. A letter of acceptance from Taylor Seminary, proof of sufficient funds and possibly a medical report are required to obtain a study permit. Since obtaining this permit may take up to six months, students are advised to begin the process as soon as they have been accepted to Taylor.

Please see the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for further information.

What other documents do I need in order to get a study permit?
In addition to your acceptance letter from Taylor Seminary, you will be required to show proof of identity, and proof of funds. For more information on these documents please see the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Health insurance is mandatory for all international students living in Canada. Upon arrival, students from outside of Canada may be registered under a Student Guard Health Insurance policy and a reasonable monthly fee will be charged to their account.  Students on a visa to study in Alberta are eligible for Alberta Health Care medical insurance and may choose to opt out of the above health insurance program upon presentation of proof of Alberta Health Care coverage to the Taylor business office. For information on obtaining health insurance , please see the Alberta Government’s Health and Wellness website (health forms are here).

How do I apply to Taylor?
Please visit the Application Information page for further details.

How much does it cost to go to Taylor Seminary?
The cost for a single person to attend Taylor Seminary and live on campus for one academic year (two semesters from September to December, and January to April) is approximately $13,000 in Canadian funds. Students must be able to provide proof to the Canadian government that they can cover these expenses without the assistance of financial aid.

When do I have to pay?
When you apply to Taylor Seminary as a student from outside of Canada, you will be required to send in an application fee of $80 CDN. Your application cannot be processed until this fee has been paid. After you have been accepted you will be sent registration information. The balance of your tuition and fees is due on the first day of classes.

How do I pay my fees?
Application fees and tuition deposits can be paid by credit card, money order, or cheque in Canadian or US funds. We recommend that you set up a bank account upon your arrival in Canada from which you can withdraw your tuition and fee payments in Canadian dollars.

Applicants may also choose to submit fees through a Western Union money transfer. Please contact your local Western Union location for information on how to transfer funds to Western Union in Edmonton. You will also need to contact us to determine who the recipient at Taylor Seminary will be. Go to Western Union to find a location near you.

Taylor Seminary Graduation 2012Is there financial aid available from Taylor Seminary?
Taylor Seminary has received specially designated funds from friends, alumni, and businesses in order to endow scholarships and bursaries. Nonetheless, Taylor has a limited amount of funding available for financial aid. We do not have full scholarships or large amounts of money available for international students. Students should calculate their expenses assuming that they will not receive any financial aid. Applications for Financial Aid must be received by June 15th each year.

Please see Financial Aid for more details. The Financial Aid Application Forms can be found on the Documents and Forms page here.

Can I work in Canada?
Effective June 1, 2014, new rules permit international students who are attending a "designated learning institution" to work off campus. You can read more about the new rules on the Government of Canada website (, which includes:

"Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution will be:

    • eligible to work off campus without a work permit;
    • allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and
    • able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

To be able to work in Canada, however, you must be registered and enrolled at your designated learning institution, and you must get a Social Insurance Number from Service Canada."

There are a limited number of employment opportunities available on the Taylor campus, and students can inquire about these part-time opportunities if interested.

Is Taylor a Designated Learning Institution?
Taylor is officially listed as a Designated Learning Institution by the Government of Alberta. (The official list of "Designated Learning Institutions" is

Is there on-campus housing at Taylor Seminary?
There are a limited number of suites available on campus for students, including some with full kitchens. It is expected that students in residence would stay through to the end of the full academic term; 30-days notice is required to move off campus before the end of the semester.

What options are there for living off-campus?
There are a number of apartment buildings within walking or bus distance from Taylor Seminary. You may also consider applying for a Homestay program where you can live with an English speaking family and gain experience with the language and culture. Students who live off-campus are responsible for finding their own accommodations.

The following links may help you in finding a place to live in Edmonton:

Home Renters Guide (apartments, condominiums, townhouses, etc)

Hotels in Edmonton

Homestay Programs:

Beacon Homestay of Canada Ltd.
Telephone: 780-474-7113
Fax: 780-474-7133
Website: (this website appears to be unavailable)

Nacel Canada
Telephone: 780-468-0941 Fax: 780-465-7583

Are there any organizations that can help me get settled in Canada?
It is up to you to obtain the documents needed to gain entry into Canada, but there are some organizations that can help make your transition easier. Contact International Student Ministries or the Mennonite Centre for Newcomers for more information.

What about churches, schools, daycare, and medical facilities?
Taylor Seminary is within walking distance of medical facilities. The City of Edmonton has a number of excellent hospitals and many medical clinics. There are also many different churches across Edmonton, which students can get to by car or city transit systems. The following links will provide you with more information on services in Edmonton.


Medical facilities

If you have any questions, please give us a call. We invite you to come and experience Taylor first-hand. Come and visit our campus. Sit in classes, worship in chapel and mingle with our faculty and students. We'll provide you with lodging and meals during your stay. Email or call Enrolment Services to arrange your visit. We look forward to seeing you in person!

Contact Information:
Enrolment Services
Taylor Seminary
11525 - 23 Avenue NW,
Edmonton, AB
Canada T6J 4T3
Telephone: (780) 431-5200
Fax: (780) 436-9416
Toll Free: 1-800-567-4988