Laurier Heights Baptist Church, Edmonton, AB
Who We Are
Laurier Heights Baptist Church (LHBC) was established over 55 years ago and is located in the community of Laurier Heights in West Edmonton. We are a multi-generational congregation engaging several worship styles and a deep faith in the Word of God who manifest those relationships in our Christian family through the call to Love First.
General Position Description
Laurier Heights Baptist Church Mission/Vision Statement:
• Love First
The Position Purpose Statement:
• To be the chief shepherd, providing and facilitating care, nurture, guidance, discipling, and spiritual oversight for the body of believers at Laurier Heights Baptist Church.
The Position Vision Statements:
• To model the vision of the church in seeking and seizing opportunities to share the radical love of Jesus, to demonstrate Jesus' comprehensive love (intending to include the soft and hard aspects of love) for others and to offer genuine worship to our God.
• To lead the spiritual growth of the body at LHBC through teaching, admonition, mentorship and prayer.
• To grow spiritually, intellectually and in skill.
• To seek personal holiness and relationship with God to both serve as an example to the body and to provide strength for the role of Senior Pastor.
• To model personal life management through a balance of personal needs, family responsibilities, and the demands of a pastoral position.
• To cultivate personal accountability through a network of spiritual peers (typically only a few people) both within and outside the church who will provide feedback, guidance and prayer.
• To cultivate an environment where people can genuinely meet God through the fullness of His Word and Spirit.
• Demonstrate and encourage the fruit of the Spirit.
• To actively lead in discerning God's vision for Laurier Heights Baptist Church and to take primary leadership in implementing the vision.
• To help the leadership facilitate the growth of the body of believers at LHBC to be equipped to fulfill the corporate mandate and vision.
• To care for the leadership of LHBC by providing guidance, support and spiritual insight.
• To participate in community events where the church might suitably be represented.
• To facilitate and/or participate in the identification and development of persons in LHBC with spiritual gifts.
• To coordinate the preaching program and be the primary provider of the teaching/preaching portion of the weekly service(s) typically preaching a minimum of 35 weeks per year.
• To provide routine leadership in the day to day operational demands of the church including supervising secretarial staff, and other pastoral staff.
• To mentor and cultivate the skills of other paid pastoral staff.
• To be the primary provider of triage to route people in need of care to the best resources either within or outside the church.
• When appropriate, to provide counselling where the needs and skills correspond.
• To sit as a voting member of the elders' board and a non-voting member of the administration board, lead staff meetings, and to occasionally attend meetings of other committees of the church as appropriate.
• To participate in the activities of the Canadian Baptist of Western Canada, to represent the body of believers at LHBC in the wider work of the church, and to avail themselves of the resources of the CBWC.
• To be involved directly or indirectly in ministering to the people of our community.
The final job description for this position will be developed after settlement and a careful negotiation with the selected pastor so as to express the uniqueness of his/her personal gifts, skills and expertise in the light of the needs of the church.
• Masters level or higher theological or ministry training
• Five years or more of pastoral ministry experience
• Ordained or on ordination track with Canadian Baptists of Western Canada.
• Equivalencies will be considered
Hours per Week
This is a full time position
To be negotiated according to Canadian Baptists of Western Canada guidelines.
Visit our website www.lhbc.ca
Check the Pastoral Search Committee (PSC) blog http://lhbcsearch.tumblr.com
Deadline for Application
May 1, 2014, or until a suitable candidate is found.