North Edmonton Alliance Church
Pastor of the English Ministry - Position Description
The Pastor of the English Ministry is to be one of the members of the team of spiritual leaders for the North Edmonton Alliance Church (“NEAC” or “the church”). This role includes preaching and teaching of the Word of God predominantly at the English congregation and to be a shepherd mainly for the English congregation for their spiritual growth, and to prepare and equip the same to be the agents of blessings to many others.
This position would report to the Board of Elders through the senior pastor, and to contribute with the rest of the pastoral team members, staff and other ministry leaders to work toward the direction and vision of the church.
AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
The Pastor of the English Ministry is to be responsible for the following areas:
• Commit to be a man/woman after God's heart and to serve the body in the power of the Holy Spirit through prayers and other spiritual disciplines.
• Shepherd the congregation according to the model of a servant leader (1 Peter 5:2-3).
• Motivate and train members and ministry leaders, exhorting them into a deeper and more profound walk in the Holy Spirit, encouraging them to identify and develop their spiritual gifts matching them with the capacity of our resources.
• Commit to foster a one team/body environment.
• Be a supportive member of the pastoral team for mutual support and spiritual nurture.
• Be proactive for discipleship, evangelism, outreach and foster healthy relationships in the church body, training the congregation to lead in their sphere of influence and in their communities.
Preaching/Teaching the Word
• Play a supportive role to the senior pastor to be another expositor of God's Word to the English congregation. As such, he/she shall strive to communicate Biblical truth with passion, excellence and relevance, providing clear application to congregants' daily lives.
• Model the application of God's Word to his/her life and to the situations that are encouraged by the congregation on a daily basis.
• Plan, administer, and implement the English Christian Education curriculum through the Sunday School programs and other workshops or seminars as deemed necessary.
Provide insight for worship services. Contribute to the pastoral team to provide leadership to oversee the overall direction of worship services, providing guidance to and ensuring collaboration with others as they lead in worship and seek together to draw the congregation into a rich worship experience.
• Offer reconciliation to Christ for each person within the church.
• Offer hope to the despairing and healing to the wounded.
• Be an advocate of the family – creating and establishing tools that will help foster godly parenting and build family relationships.
• Affirm the value and specific needs of the various age groups within the church body.
• Support the ministries of the church which foster member-to-member care.
• Provide pastoral counselling within the limits of time and expertise. Make referrals, when appropriate, using the skills within the staff, the congregation and the community.
• Participate in weddings, funerals, baptisms and community worship opportunities as deemed appropriate.
• Promote, establish, or create various forms of personal and corporate evangelism that can be implemented in the community.
• Regularly present the good news of God's redemption in Jesus Christ in teaching and preaching.
• Actively support and encourage involvement in local, regional and international ministries.
• Responsible for the administration of the English ministry as the chair of the ministry committee and oversee the direction of English Ministry.
• Support, encourage and seek the means to equip the ministry team leaders in their respective spheres of ministry. Assist them in setting ministry goals and hold them accountable for their responsibilities.
• Responsible for monthly report to the Board of Elders through the senior pastor.
• Participate in conferences and ministries, as approved by the Elder Board.
• Ensure a good working relationship and accountability to the Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada (C&MA) and District Office and is the church's liaison with the District Office, the family of C&MA churches and other religious and community leaders.
• Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and believes the Bible to be God-breathed, inerrant and the foundation truth in a believer's life.
• Demonstrate a vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Spend regular time in personal Bible study, prayer & worship.
• Display a passion to know, trust and follow Jesus.
• Be sensitive to the leadership of the Holy Spirit in his life and ministry, allowing the Spirit to have free reign in his preaching and teaching, with a central focus on the person and work of Jesus Christ.
• Be willing to equip others to use their spiritual gifts.
• Live an exemplary life based on clear biblical principles.
• Adopt as personal standards the requirements of an elder as set forth in 1 Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 1:5-9.
• Support and commit to C&MA Statement of Faith and also support the global and district ministries and missions of the C&MA.
• Support and commit to the church's Constitution and Vision Statement.
• Possess strong preaching, teaching, leadership and discipleship skills.
• Have a theological position that is exegetically informed.
• Substantial experience or demonstrated ability leading a multi-person staffed environment.
• Proficient with the language of English is essential for communication, and communication skill with simple Chinese is an asset.
• A Graduate level of theological studies or equivalent degree from an accredited evangelical seminary is preferred. An undergraduate degree would be considered in aiming at working toward a graduate level training.
• A minimum of 3 to 5 years of pastoral experience in a thriving multi-pastoral church is preferred.
• Actively involved in a peer accountability group.
• Give evidence of a strong healthy family relationship.
• Be self-motivated, proactive and take steps of faith when led to do so by God.
• Exhibit characteristics of warmth, friendliness, empathy and sincerity; exhibit the fruit of the Spirit.
• Be committed to local, national and international missions.
A few Chinese families started this Christian & Missionary Alliance Church in Edmonton, Alberta in 1984. Over almost 30 years, we have birthed a Mandarin congregation in the Edmonton area, established a church in Aruba and developed several international missionary workers. Our current English, Cantonese & children ministry serve a total of 300 members.