As a service to our students and the wider Christian community, Taylor shares employment opportunities from churches, ministries and like-minded organizations. The posting of these listings online and on the Taylor campus does not imply any endorsement of the position or the organization, nor does it imply any relationship between Taylor and the listing organization. If you would like to share your ministry position with our readers, you can do so by email or by filling out the form below. NOTE: Your posting will not appear online until after it has been reviewed and approved.
FULL TIME POSITION
RIVER WEST CHRISTIAN CHURCH
CLOSING DATE: APRIL 4, 2020
OPPORTUNITY OVERVIEW | PDF Job Flyer
River West Christian Church (RWCC) is seeking a lead pastor to work in collaboration with the Leadership Team, Associate Pastor, and ministry staff to provide leadership of the preaching and teaching ministry and oversee spiritual/pastoral care and general ministries.
The people of River West strongly desire to grow as a church of prayer and in their openness and obedience to the Holy Spirit. They are seeking to be mentored and equipped in their gifts and callings in order to effectively engage with and serve the communities where they work, live, and play.
Following a season of more than 20 years of ministry with a well-respected pastor, and a period of transition when the church pursued clarity on a cohesive direction, River West is eagerly anticipating the next steps.
Situated in West Edmonton, River West is multi-generational and family oriented. It is often described as a warm, welcoming church with a committed and active core of people who desire to go deeper in their relationship with Christ and each other. Relationship with God and each other is fuelled by our times of worship, small groups, potlucks, social gatherings and service within the community of faith and beyond. Approximately one-third of the congregation live within a 5 km radius, and the remaining two-thirds commute.
RWCC belongs to the Mennonite Brethren family of churches.
We, the body of Christ who gather as River West Christian Church, seek to love God, each other, and our neighbours in all of life. By the power of the Holy Spirit, we will be faithful in knowing God, worshipping Him in spirit and in truth, obeying Him, and boldly professing Christ in love.
United under Christ’s headship, we will equip and support one another in growing our relationships with Christ and each other, and in participating in Christ’s ministry of reconciliation.
As ambassadors of Christ, we invite people into relationship with Jesus Christ, welcome them into His covenant family, disciple and equip them to follow Jesus in all of life.
God’s word – The Holy Bible is the source of leadership and guidance in all matters of our faith, and it shapes how we put that faith into action in all of life.
Prayerful dependence on God – We rest in God and rely on Him for guidance in all areas of our lives.
Heartfelt worship – We show our love for God by obeying and praising Him and by giving thanks for all He has done.
Biblical community – We desire to be authentic, vulnerable, accountable, and loving in our relationships.
Transformative discipleship – We are intentional and committed as we strive for spiritual maturity.
Sharing the Gospel – We proclaim Christ through our words and actions in every area of our lives.
Faithful service – We carry out Christ’s work by serving others according to how we are called and gifted.
Generous giving – We joyfully and sacrificially manage the time, abilities, and monetary gifts God has placed in our care.
DISCIPLESHIP STRATEGY – C L U E
“Following Jesus in all of life” by:
- Connecting with God
- Loving others
- Understanding yourself
- Engaging your calling
River West is surrounded by newer communities consisting primarily of single detached homes with some medium density developments and plenty of public space to enjoy the outdoors. Steady growth is anticipated until 2028.
Some features of River West’s neighborhood:
- The median age of residents is 34 years.
- It is a relatively high-income neighborhood with an average household income of approximately 135K.
- The area is not as culturally diverse as other communities in Edmonton.
- The second most prevalent language (12%) is Tagalog (Filipino).
- Young families make up the vast majority (66%) of residents.
- There are very few post-secondary students and renters.
- Given the distance to downtown and other businesses, there is high use of private vehicles for transport.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working together and reporting to the Leadership Team, the Lead Pastor…
- Oversees the preaching and teaching ministries of the church (Preacher/Teacher)
- Ensures solid biblical teaching
- Effectively communicates the Christian faith and lifestyle to people of diverse backgrounds and maturity
- Ably addresses issues in society, the community, and the church with practical, relevant biblical input
- Trains and develops leaders for effective ministry (Equipper)
- Disciples and mentors key leaders
- Identifies new leaders and develops them through intentional training
- Provides pathways for emerging leaders to engage in leadership and ministry in the church
- Encourages and empowers others to grow in their gifts and callings
- Oversees and leads the staff and ministry leader teams (Team Leader/Team Player)
- Leads staff meetings and maintains healthy staff working environment
- Appoints, mentors, supervises, and reviews staff
- Delegates authority and ministry responsibilities to staff
- Collaborates with the Pastoral and Leadership Team in developing and implementing the vision, mission, core values, and strategic plan for the church (Planner/Implementer)
- Contributes to review and development of vision
- Coordinates strategic planning to implement vision
- Establishes and communicates ministry priorities
- Oversees the pastoral ministries of the church (Pastoral Care Coordinator)
- Shapes the pastoral ministry of the church through establishing and supporting the pastoral care team
- Supports pastoral ministries to key church groups including children, youth, and interest groups
- Leads in responding to specific pastoral situations including conflict resolution, disciplinary processes, and critical pastoral incidents
- Provides a supportive environment for significant relationships and partnerships with the local community, city, and denominational/missional networks (Networker)
- Ensures a church presence, support, and/or a voice in times of need or challenge within the community
- Arranges for church representation at important public community events and functions
- Develops positive public relationships with the daycare, key rental groups, community groups, leaders, and organizations
- Participates in networks with other leaders for mutual equipping and support
- Personally contributes, and enables the church to contribute, to broader kingdom and mission-oriented activities, outreaches, and causes
- Dependent on God – Pursues a healthy, growing relationship with God characterized by surrender, is committed to hearing and following God’s leading, and practices spiritual discipline(s)
- Demonstrates a bold personal faith – Lives out and challenges others in a deeper walk with Christ
- Models humble servant leadership
- Empowering - Supports opportunities for individuals to function and lead in the church according to their gifts
- Maintains personal accountability relationship(s)
- Leads well – Is growing as a collaborative, transparent leader in pastoral ministry to a multigenerational church and places a high value on growing the church through the empowerment of people in teams
- Pursues a healthy lifestyle – Knows and is comfortable with one’s self; practices and enjoys a well-rounded lifestyle; and maintains a stable, supportive family environment as well as friendships and interests beyond vocational ministry
- Responsive to community – Engages the community and genuinely welcomes individuals to take their next step with God
- Theologically fully supports the Mennonite Brethren Confession of Faith
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Applicable Master’s Degree preferred
- 5 years’ experience in pastoral leadership role, lead pastor role experience preferred
- Willing to pursue credentialing with Alberta Mennonite Brethren
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Further details to be addressed during interviews.
April 4, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is found.
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
River West Christian Church
19815 – 45 Ave
Edmonton AB T6M 0M4
Church Office (780) 487-2275
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.