As a service to our students and the wider Christian community, Taylor shares employment opportunities from churches, ministries and like-minded organizations. The posting of these listings online and on the Taylor campus does not imply any endorsement of the position or the organization, nor does it imply any relationship between Taylor and the listing organization. If you would like to share your ministry position with our readers, you can do so by email or by filling out the form below. NOTE: Your posting will not appear online until after it has been reviewed and approved.
Lead Pastor Position
Temple Baptist Church
Lead Pastor Opportunity
Lead Pastor – Temple Baptist Church, Jamestown, ND
Details: 1200 12th Ave NE, Jamestown, ND 58401, US
Accepting Applications: February – March 2019
Position Type: Full-time; Lead Pastor of Multi-staff Church
Temple Baptist Church of Jamestown, ND is located on Interstate 94 halfway between Fargo and Bismarck. It is the ninth largest city in ND with a population in excess of 15,000.
We believe the man God has in mind for TBC is a one committed to the sufficiency of Scripture and the supremacy of Christ with a record of successfully shepherding a team of leaders (both lay Elders and full-time Pastoral and support staff) as well as the entire body, to accomplish the mission God has for us – “To Know God and Make Him Known!”
We are affiliated with the North American Baptist Conference and would anticipate our next leader to be credentialed, or be willing to be credentialed, by the conference.
TBC partnered with Interim Pastor Ministries during 2018 to do a self-study under the guidance of an Interim Pastor. The self-study involved all members and regular attendees, the leadership of the church, and a special task force known as the Transition Team which has now become the Pastor Search Team. We look forward to discovering the man whom God will call to be our next Servant Leader.
- Email your resume in Word doc format to (email@example.com)
- Carefully read the Profiles (Pastor, Church, and Community as follow in this document) and, in light of that information, send a document in Word format explaining why you believe God may be leading you to consider this position.
Temple Baptist Church in Jamestown, North Dakota is seeking its next Lead Pastor and the timing could not be better to join this faithful church family as we explore how to more effectively achieve the mission to which God has called us: “To Know God and Make Him Known.” We are eager to call an experienced Pastor and Leader to guide us, encourage us and challenge us as we adventure together for continued impact in Jamestown and the surrounding communities.
TBC understands that we are not “hiring” a Lead Pastor, but intentionally, carefully, and prayerfully seeking to discover the Servant Leader whom God is “calling” to Shepherd this flock in Jamestown, ND. This profile is not an expression of professional skills as much as an expression of Shepherd-like qualities we believe important to help us accomplish God’s mission for us in the 21st Century.
I Timothy 4:12b-16 Essentials
HEART ESSENTIALS (v. 16a – “Keep a CLOSE WATCH ON YOURSELF and …PERSIST IN THIS…” )
We desire a Pastor who, in his personal life:
- Is known for an intimate walk with God through personal time in the Word, prayer, and accountability to spiritual partners
- Is known for his devotion to his wife
- Is protecting himself against any accusation in his relationship with other women
- Is making margin in his life for his own children at home or adult children away from home
- Is submitting himself to both personal and ministry accountability partners who freely ask him hard questions.
- Is committed to the stewardship of his body as the temple of the Holy Spirit
- Is known to be a good steward of his personal finances and therein content in times of plenty and times of loss
- Is known as a Servant Leader (one who above all is a “servant of the Lord”)
- Is known to love the flock of God
- Is not diverted from mission as a “people pleaser” (Gal. 1:10)
HEAD ESSENTIALS (v. 15 – “…devote yourself to the PUBLIC READING OFSCRIPTURE, to EXHORTATION, to TEACHING.”)
We desire a Pastor who, in his cognitive life:
- Is passionate about discovering what the author of any given text of Scripture intended to say to his contemporaries…
- Is purposefully seeking to discover how the Gospel is rooted in every text of Scripture and committed to make it central to his teaching…
- Is committed to understanding the generational distinctions within the culture and ministering in a way that helps each value the other…
- Is continuing his education, especially in those fields/studies that enable him to strengthen the mission to which God has called us as a Church…
HAND ESSENTIALS (v. 14 – “Do not neglect THE GIFT YOU HAVE which was given you by prophecy when the council of ELDERS LAID THEIR HANDS ON YOU.”)
We desire a Pastor who, in his ministry life:
- Is cognizant of his spiritual gift(s) and exercises them with freedom and joy
- Is committed to loving exhortation (interested in transformation, not just information)
- Is gifted in leadership, especially mentoring and equipping leaders
- Is able to lead the Elder Team in developing and communicating with clarity and passion God’s mission, vision, and strategy fort his church
Additional Essentials (In no significant order of importance)
- Is committed to a Gospel centered preaching plan that calls and equips the church “To know God and make Him known”
- Is committed to a team approach to shepherding
- Is familiar with and values the use of technology in preaching/teaching, daily communication, and the worship services of the church
- Is available for Pastoral counseling keeping it in balance with prayer and the preaching of the Word
- Is committed to strengthening the Life Group Ministry of the Church
- Is committed to personally sharing the Gospel and strengthening a holistic approach to the church’s outreach
- Is passionate about overseeing and equipping church staff to accomplish the mission of the church in their assigned roles
- Is committed to the structure of the church: Elders who shepherd, Deacons who assist, and Members who serve
Apart from the clear Biblical qualifications listed in I Timothy 3 & Titus 1
- Minimum of 5 years Pastoral Church Ministry; preferably as Lead Pastor.
- If married, a wife with a heart for ministry, and very supportive of her husband and his ministry. (She, however, will not be expected to fill a formal ministry role.)
- Seminary Degree from an Evangelical Seminary; preferable at least a Master of Divinity.
- Previous experience managing multiple staff and willingness to serve with our existing full-timestaff (Associate Pastor, Youth Director and church counselor) as “first among equals” (i.e. –Overseeing their work while valuing their call to ministry). Also overseeing the Administrative Assistant in the office.
- Been ordained or licensed and has those credentials with the NABC. If not, is willing to pursuefull ordination credentials with the NABC.