Dr. Allan Effa
Ray and Edith DeNeui Professor of Intercultural Studies
Upcoming Faculty Activity
April 9 – Sunday – teach Adult Formation class on Worship at First Baptist
May 2 – Presentation to Edmonton Area CBWC Ministerial on “How Corporate Worship Saves Us”
May 9-25 – Lead students in walk of the Camino de Santiago, Spain
June 3-4 - Retreat Speaker for Good Tree Church, Calgary, at Banff Centre (Topic: Integral Mission)
June 15 – Present paper to American Society of Professors of Mission on Missiological Implications for Taylor Seminary Arising from Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Recommendations, Wheaton College
June 14-18 – Serve the American Society of Missiology as secretary at annual meetings in Wheaton
June 25 – 26 – Teach sessions at Parish Nursing Institute
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications:
- Peer Reviewed Article: “Celtic and Aboriginal Pathways toward a Contemporary Eco Spirituality” International Bulletin of Mission Research (October 2016)
- Sept 22, 2016 – Presentation to Calgary CBWC Ministerial on Missional Church Conversation, Ecclesiology and the Kingdom
- Book Review: “Joining God, Remaking Church, Changing the World: The New Shape of the Church in our Time,” by Alan J. Roxburgh in Missiology: An International Review, Vol 44, no. 3 July 2016, pp.351-352.
- June 16 – 19 – Helped facilitate the annual American Society of Missiology conference in St. Paul, MN
- June 1, 2016 – Moderated Interfaith Panel at Strathcona Baptist Church, Edmonton
- May 31, 2016 – Presentation to Edmonton CBWC Ministerial on Missional Church Conversation, Ecclesiology and the Kingdom
- May 15, 2016 – Preach and lead Healing/Pentecost Service at First Baptist Church, Edmonton
- Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016 – Preach 11 AM FBC Edmonton – “How Liturgy Forms Us”
- Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015 – Preach 11 AM FBC Edmonton – “Believing the Impossible”
- Saturday, November 29, 2015 – co-led intergenerational Advent retreat, First Baptist Edmonton
- Thursday/Friday, October 22 – 23 2015, Peace River Bible Institute in Sexsmith, Alberta - Four lectures on “Integral Mission” (Integral Mission, an introduction; Integral Mission as Proclamation; Integral Mission as Social Justice; Integral Mission as Creation Care)
- October 15, 2015 – Chapel Devotional at Tegler Manor, Edmonton.
- October 2015, “Pub congregations, coffee house communities, tall-steeple churches, and sacred space: The missional church movement and architecture.” in Missiology: An International Review. Vol 43(4) October 2015, pp.373-384.
- September 22, 2015 – Theology and Culture Series, First Baptist Edmonton. “How culture has shaped Christian theology and attitudes toward environmental stewardship.”
- June 20, 2015 to the American Society of Missiology in Wheaton, IL: “Pub congregations, coffee house communities, tall-steeple churches, and sacred space: The missional church movement and architecture.”
- Sunday, March 22, 2015 10:30 AM – Preach, North Edmonton Alliance Church, Edmonton. Sermon for Mission Emphasis Sunday.
- Sunday, March 15, 2015 – Adult Formation Class, First Baptist, Edmonton: “The Spiritual Practice of Fasting.”
- March 3, 2015 “Sharing Good News in a Secular Age” – presentation in a Theology and Culture series, First Baptist Church, Edmonton
- Feb. 21, 2015 – Lead Lenten Retreat, First Baptist Church, Edmonton.
- Feb. 4, 2015 – Paper presented to the Evangelical Missiological Society Canada Regional meeting at Providence Seminary: Pub Congregations, Coffee House Communities, Tall-Steeple Churches and Sacred Space: The Missional Church and Architecture
First Baptist Church (Adult Formation class):
- Co-taught Adult Formation class on Revelation (Sept. 18, 2016)
- Hospitality in the Way of Jesus (Jan. 25, 2016)
- A Contemplative Theological Exploration of Baptism (Jan. 10, 2016)
- How we are Formed by the Liturgy (Nov. 23, 2015)
- How we are formed by the Christian Calendar (Nov. 16, 2015)
- The Spiritual Practice of Pilgrimage (Oct. 18 2015)
Greenfield Community Church (Sermon):
- How Corporate Worship Forms Us (Jan. 4, 2016)
Theology and Culture series (First Baptist Church, Edmonton)
- Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 7:00 PM - "How has culture shaped Christian theology and attitudes toward environmental stewardship?" This Free Lecture/Discussion will explore Celtic and North American Aboriginal cultural themes as pathways toward a more biblical understanding and practice.
View Dr. Effa’s CURRICULUM VITAE here (PDF)