Kate Svrcek (B. Music, B. Ed) Violin
Kate received her Bachelor of Music degree in violin performance from McGill University while studying with Richard Roberts (Montreal Symphony). Ms. Svrcek also atended the Meadowmount School of Music in upstate New York on two occasions, where she studied with Sally Thomas (Julliard), and performed in masterclasses for Ilya Kaler. Kate also recently completed an after degree in Education from the University of Alberta. She is an avid performer with the Alberta Baroque Ensemble and the Citadel Theatre, as well as with several quartets and ensembles throughout the city. Ms. Svrcek is a regular substitute in the violin section of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.
Kate teaches all levels and styles of music for the violin. She is accepting new students on Mondays.
Ian Woodman - Cello
Ian begn his musical training in Edmonton when he was 8 years old in the EPSB Strings Program. He studied with ESO cellists Anna Hyder and Tim Khaner before post-secondary studies with Claude Kenneson and James Hunter, one of Canada's best teachers. Ian spent 6 years as Principal Cello of the Prince George Symphony Orchestra, playing, teaching and adjudicating throughout central British Columbia. A year in Montreal was followed by a move back to Edmonton in 1995 to teach cello and bass in the public schools until 2009.
Ian has spent time building a teaching studio, becoming one of the city's busiest, most sought-after cello teachers. He maintains a busy performing career as well, freelancing as an orchestral and chamber musician throughout Alberta and BC. Ian performs regularly at the Citadel Theatre and has taught at Alberta College. He is cellist of the Taylor String Quartet.
Ian is accepting new cello students on Saturdays.
Tyson Oatway (B. Music, BA) Guitar
Classical guitarist Tyson Oatway has a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology and a Bachelor of Music degree (Distinction) from the University of Alberta. He is currently completing his Master of Music degree in performance. His teaching experience includes private lessons to students of all ages and abilities. As a Teaching Assistant at the U of A, Tyson taught a first year theory tutorial and assisted in grading and proctoring for a course in Western Art Music. He has participated in masterclasses with Pavel Steidl, the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, the Edmonton Early Music Society and the Edmonton Classical Guitar Society.
Tyson is accepting students in all styles of guitar (classical, rock 'n roll, jazz) and theory on Thursdays.
Taylor Conservatory of Music Instruments and classes available
- Clarijane Belliones is accepting new students on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Evelyn Grieger teaches beginner piano to RCM grade 6. She is accepting new students on Tuesdays.
- Yoana Kyurkchieva is accepting new students on Saturdays.
- Carol Mellors teaches all levels of piano, theory and piano pedagogy.
- Andrew Sims teaches all levels of piano.
- Tyson Oatway is accepting students in all styles of guitar (classical, rock 'n roll, jazz) and theory on Thursdays.
- Dorie Gold teaches all levels of flute and beginner recorder.
- Alexandra Campbell is a qualified Suzuki teacher and is accepting new violin students.
- Deborah Chang is accepting new violin students on Saturdays only.
- Leslie Mahr teaches all levels of violin and viola.
- Leanne Dammann Maitland teaches beginner and intermediate violin and all levels of viola. She is accepting new students on Tuesdays.
- Kate Svrcek teaches all levels and styles of music for the violin. She is accepting new students on Mondays.